Saturday, February 5, 2011

Emailed to Traffic 911: Child prostitutes can sue Johns for child sexual abuse


Emailed to Traffic 911: Child prostitutes can sue Johns for child sexual abuse.

I got this idea back in 1987 after watching the movie "Street Wise." (The movie came out in 1986 -- Life Magazine did the original cover story on the same homeless kids 4 years before that.) I saw these skinny strung-out kids being picked up by big luxury cars and -- I don't know if it was the faux lawyer in me or the cab driver -- I though: sue!

Touch a child/give them your house. You can possibly deter most Johns simply by giving the idea big play in the media even if you are not doing much with it yet.

In 1987, I suggested the idea to Louis Lee, director of Children of the Night and to Gerg Loken, legal counsel of Covenant House. Doctor Lee, last I heard back then, was exploring the idea with the president of Loyola law. Greg Loken, at first, said, "I wish I had thought of that." But the following month he gave me the run around saying: "The child would never stick around; we do this." Typical young lawyer nonsense: two conflicting thoughts separated by a semi-colon. Later it seems something funny may have been going on in Covenant House.

Thing about suing for child sexual abuse is that there may be no statute of limitations in most places on child abuse law suits.

No comments: